In partnership with the American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative (ABA ROLI) through the Women and Girls Empowered (WAGE) consortium, The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) is the technical lead of a women’s economic empowerment initiative in Central Asia. This initiative is funded by the U.S. Department of State Secretary’s Office of Global Women’s Issues. Through this initiative, CIPE and ABA ROLI aim to build and support an alliance of women’s organizations to increase Central Asian women’s participation in economic activity.
American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative (ABA ROLI)’s mission is to promote justice, economic opportunity, and human dignity through the rule of law. ABA ROLI uses its expertise in international development and experience in rule of law to implement programs in more than 50 countries.
The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) is one of the four core institutes of the National Endowment for Democracy. CIPE has over 30 years of experience working with chambers of commerce, business associations, think tanks, and other civil society organizations (CSOs) to strengthen democracy around the globe through private enterprise and market-oriented reform.
1. PROJECT OBJECTIVE
The purpose of this consultancy is to conduct data collection in the form of key informant interviews and a survey for a rapid needs assessment which will inform policy recommendations and coalition priorities for a women’s business agenda. The women’s business agenda is a planned implementation activity which will highlight the evidence-based changes needed to improve the economic success of women in Central Asia. The data will be used by the project team and other stakeholders both to inform other related activities throughout the project, and as a key input into the analysis of the impact of those activities at the end of the project.
2. SCOPE OF WORK
|ESTIMATED LEVEL OF EFFORT||ANTICIPATED TASKS AND ASSIGNMENT PHASES|
[estimated 1-3 calendar days]
|Data Collection Phase
[estimated 20-23 calendar days]
[estimated 1-2 calendar days]
3. EXPECTED DELIVERABLES
- 1-5 page summary in English detailing pre-test survey and interviews and any suggested changes for CIPE to implement in survey and key informant interview guide
- Minimum of 30 key informant interview recordings
- Minimum of 30 fully completed survey responses
- 1-5 page summary in English detailing key themes synthesized across interviews while also noting any major differences of opinion between respondents
- Bachelors or master’s degree (preferred) in international development, economics, public policy, public administration, or related field, including formal training in research methods and program evaluation
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience conducting international development focused research and/or program evaluation
- Previous qualitative research interviewing experience, including conducting pre-tests, through at least one of the following mediums: in-person, telephone, and/or internet
- Fluency and/or professional proficiency in Russian, Kyrgyz, and English
- Superior verbal communication and listening skills
- Strong English writing skills
- Ability to articulate clearly and concisely over Zoom, Microsoft Teams, and telephone
- Flexible approach to the changing nature of work and ability to interview respondents on their schedule
- Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Word and Outlook
- Familiarity with SurveyMonkey
- Very strong attention to detail
- Ability to work effectively both independently and within the team
5. DURATION OF ASSIGNMENT
The estimated start date will be November 1, 2021 and is expected to conclude on or around December 3, 2021. However, please note that the consultancy could begin as early as late October depending on when consultant is hired, and contract is fully executed. Estimated LOE for this assignment is 25 days.
Candidates should already reside in or around Kyrgyzstan.
6. REPORTING ARRANGEMENTS
The selected candidate will report to the Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist based in Washington, D.C. for the duration of the consultancy.
Remuneration will be individually negotiated based on the professional qualifications and relevant experience.
8. HOW TO APPLY
For full consideration, applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. Eastern European Summer Time on October 22, 2021.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis as well. Interested applicants should submit a resume and a cover letter. The cover letter should indicate the proposed daily rate and availability. The background experience should address the desired areas of expertise, including any knowledge or background in women’s economic empowerment, advocacy, international development focused research and program evaluation.
Please send all application materials electronically to email@example.com.
The subject line should read “WAGE Central Asia – Kyrgyzstan Qualitative Research Interviewer – NAME”.
Terms of Reference: Qualitative Research Interviewer – WAGE Central Asia (Kyrgyzstan)